It’s convenient when you can move your furniture from your old home
directly to your new home, but that’s not always possible. The timing of
a home sale and purchase might mean that you have to place your
belongings temporarily in storage.
When choosing a storage unit, consider renting a climate-controlled
one – especially if you live in a humid climate or an area with big
seasonal temperature differences.
Temperature fluctuations and
high humidity are especially harmful to wooden and upholstered furniture
– rapid changes in temperature can cause wood to expand and contract,
while dampness can result in rotting, discoloration, or mold growth.
control will allow you to maintain a constant temperature and will
ensure that your stored furniture pieces are well protected from
moisture damage, mold, and mildew.
So, what is the best way to prepare furniture for storage? Follow the
steps below to ensure that your furniture comes out of storage in the
same condition as it was before going in:
STEP 1: Clean the Items
STEP 2: Rent A Climate Controlled Unit
Using a climate controlled unit offers the greater protection to your furniture from mold, dust, and moisture. It also allows your fabric to last longer.
- Take pictures of the furniture;
- Cover all the furniture with old sheets, blankets, drop cloth, or other appropriate cover to protect them from damage,dirt, and/or fading;
- Use padded cover or moving blankets to wrap wood furniture;
- Do not use plastic wrap directly on wood surfaces or upholstery –
condensation may form beneath the plastic and cause wood to swell or
mold to develop on the furniture. Particle board furniture can be safely
wrapped in plastic, as it doesn’t need to “breathe” like solid wood,
leather, and fine fabrics;
- Protect glass items and make sure not to tape directly onto the glass;
- Never apply packing tape directly to the furniture – the tape should not
adhere to the piece but to the material in which you wrap the
STEP 4: Make Sure to Purchase Tenant Insurance
Its crucial that you protect your belongings and purchase Tenant Protection to cover your valuables from any damage or burglary while renting your storage unit. For approximately the cost of a delivered pizza each month, you can
purchase tenant insurance for your items while their in your storage
Here are a few of our best tips for storing furniture in your storage unit. You can rent a clean and affordable self-storage unit in Thomasville,GA by calling us at (229) 225-9550 or go to the "Rent Storage
" tab on this page.